is 4 kilometres from Nauplion with regular bus service ( every
quarter of an hour). Today there still rise imposingly the walls
of the prehistoric city. «Tyrins with great walls» as it is
called by Homer. It was built by Proetus, brother of Acrisius,
king of Argos, with the help, according to tradition, of the
Cyclops that came from Lycia. Direct descendants of Proetus were
Perseus, Amphitryon, Eurystheus, and Hercules. In the Mycenaean
period Tiryns belonged to the King of Mycenae. After the descent
of the Dorians, Tiryns became an independent city and took part
in the battle of Plataea (479 B.C.). Excavations brought to light
the ruins of a palace and of prehistoric houses.
Next to the Acropolis of Tiryns, in the old Agricu1tural School
organized by Kapodistria, there is the Agricultural and Criminal
Prison and the Technical School of Argolis.
It is situated at a distance of 25 Km from Nauplion and one can go
there on the special bus that starts from Argos (10.30. a.m., 2
p.m., 18.30. p.m., 19.30. p.m.).
At Mycenae there are hotels and a touristic pavilion.
It is the centre of the civilization bearing its name and has been
praised by Homer and the ancient Greek tragic poets. The rise of
the city starts with the Perseidae dynasty in the 17th century
Sch1iemann, after having studied Homer, started excavating the
area and brought to light such precious findings, that justify its
title of «gold - abounding
Mycenae». The Mycenaean tombs, the ones of «pit style», have
been dug into soft rock. On the right on the Lion Gate there were
found at first six intact ones. The dead had gold marks and
precious armour. During the Atreideae dynasty the Acropolis walls
and the Lion Gate were erected and it was then that the city
reached the peak of its glory, having established contact with
Egypt and Asia Minor. One can still see the remnants of the palace
at the top of the Acropolis, as well as the famous Atreus'
Treasure or Agamemnon's tomb (1250 B.C.) Clytemnestra's tomb and
some more. The lίntel stone of Atreus' Treasure consists of
one block of stone 8,50 m. 10ng, 3 m. wide and 1.20 m. ta1. Its
weight is 120 tons.
was destroyed by the Argeians (468
B.C.) and during the historical times was lust an unimportant
village, that still kept some of its old splendor.
The Asklepeion at Epidaurus.
the distance of 30 Km. from Nauplion with regular bus service.
There is a special touristic bus starting at 10 and 11.30 a.m. At
the archaeological site there is a touristic pavilion and a
is a prehistoric city mentioned by Homer. Apollo Maleatas was
worshiped here. At the area of the temple Aescu1apius was the main
deity worshiped. Thousands of pilgrims, during the Greek-Roman period,
thronged here seeking rest or remedy. Such was the faith to the
healing abilities of Aesculapius that his worship continued long
after the establishment of Christianity.
the archaelogical site one sees, on the right, the Stadium (5th
century B.C.) with many of its seats still preserved. Gymnic
athletic games used to take place here. Other monuments are : the
Tholos with its labyrinth basement, a work of Polycleitus junior
from Argos, the temple of Aesculapius, where there was a gold -
ivory statue of the god made by Thrasymedes, the Abaton, the
patients' lodging area, the Gymnasium, the Roma Odeum and
finally the famous theatre, the best preserved ancient theatre. It
is also a work of Polycleitus junior (middle of 4th century B.C.).
It is not a perfect circle but an elliptic curve with three
centres in the orchestra. Its acoustics is exceptional and it can
take 14 thousand spectators. First started in 1953, every summer
there take place here «The Εpidavria», theatrical
performances of ancient Greek tragedies and comedies with the
National Theatre of Greece.
Asine is found at a distance of 11 Km from Nauplion and there is a
bus to it every hour. According to the tradition it was
colonized by the tribe of
Dryopes that came down from Mount Parnassus. It was destroyed by
the king of Argos Democratidas during the second Messenian war
(middle of 7th century B.C.) because it had allied with Sparta,
which was an enemy to both the Messenians and the Argeians. The
excavations (1922 - 1930) were came out by the Swedish, in which
the crown prince then and later king of Swedes Gustav Adolph
worked together with professor Persohn. The findings are
exhibited at the museums of Nauplion and Athens.
poet George Seferis in his characteristic poem «The King of
Asine» describes vividly the realm of the deficient homeric
memory and the futi1e search for the remnants of the king of the
city, who has been enwrapped by the darkness of oblivion. Α
lyric answer to this melancholic poem was given by the Nauplian
poet Nikos Karouzos, to whom the symbolic presence of Virgin
Mary's church on the ruins and the orange trees all around give
faith in the beauty of life, when it is made worthy by the
Agia Moni (Holy Convent).
Three Ki1ometres from Nauplion. It
was founded in 1144 by the Bishop of Argos
Nauplion Leo and today it has 19 nuns. The church of the Convent,
bui1t in 1149, is a prototype of byzantine architecture and, as
the French Byzantinologist Charles Dieh1s says «it is the most
beautiful monument of the second millennium». It has four
pillars and a light dome and has been bui1t with carved porous
On the west gate of the church there is a marble stone with the
following inscription :